Resistance


First of all, let me just say that I have checked my Blogger dashboard every single day since making my first posts but it wasn’t until the beginning of this week that I stumbled upon the comments that had been left for me.   Duh!  I had completely forgotten that I set things up so that comments required approval. Thank you for your kind words!  

I have spent a lot of my life fantasizing about domestic discipline, even before I knew that it had a name.  In my made-up DD scenarios, the HoH is always the same.  He sets strict rules, delivers swift punishment, is lovingly stern, and provides continuous accountability.  He creates an environment of emotional security.  He protects and cherishes his sweet little TiH.  I truly want all of this.  Badly.  Tom agreeing to work to provide it to me, despite its not necessarily being “his thing” has been the greatest gift he has ever given me.  Really.  It is just like him to try, though.  He has always had an amazing capacity for love. When he “checks in” with me each evening to ensure that I have complied with his expectations, I feel calmed and fulfilled.  I heave a contented sigh and snuggle down under my covers to go to sleep.

Why then, do I sometimes resist submitting to him?

When he orders me over the bed for a well-deserved spanking, I want so desperately to respond to his questions or scolding with “Yes, Sir” or “No, Sir.”  Often, I don’t.  When he confronts me about why I broke one of our rules, I tend to break eye contact.  When he determines that I have earned a punishment, I sometimes argue the finer details about what I did or did not do.  When he gave me the bedtime that I had secretly been wanting for over a year, I immediately wanted to take back my request.  (I didn’t, though!)


At this point in our dynamic, it isn’t even that Tom gets after me for these instances of resistance.  He typically doesn’t.  It’s simply that my reluctance to give up my will disappoints me a little bit.  I know that we are all a work in progress.

I have considered that I resist because I am testing to see whether he will set a limit.  I have also considered that I resist because I still struggle with feelings of shame and embarrassment about wanting to be made to obey my husband.

There is truth to both of those thoughts. Ultimately, though, I think that I resist because submission is difficult!  It requires humility.  It requires my acceptance that although Tom would never consider me less than his equal, our balance of power is not equal.  It requires me to allow myself to be scolded like a child sometimes, and not to respond by stomping my foot and insisting that I will not be told what to do.  How’s that for irony?  Many may read this and think, “Uh, duh, Princess.  Yeah.  Submission isn’t always easy.”  This is a relatively new realization for me!  I mean, it's all so seamless in my fantasies!  So, please bear with me.

Responding with “Yes, Sir” or “No, Sir” when Tom provides discipline would blatantly illustrate – to both of us – that he has the control in those moments and that I do not.  To submit in this way would force me to actively demonstrate my respect for his authority.  

Maintaining eye contact with Tom during a lecture would put me in touch with the shame and discomfort of being scolded.  It would force me to confront that I am indeed “in trouble” and that this is not a game we are playing.  It would mean that I would have to admit to myself and to Tom that I failed to live up to my responsibilities to him, to our marriage, and to our family.

Resisting temptation to argue when he determines that I have broken a rule would convey my full acceptance that he has the final word.  It would communicate my trust in him to hold me accountable in a manner that he sees fit.  It would require my working to tolerate that he does not owe me an illustration of his decision tree whenever he issues a consequence.

I want to work toward all of that.  So, I have recently asked Tom to hold me to these standards and he has agreed.  That is how it should be, right?  To do anything else would make a mockery of what I have asked for and of his giving of himself to provide what I need.  I love him – and us – too much to strive for anything less.


💖 PrincessImp

4 comments:

  1. Hi, P! This is a great post! I do say, "Yes, Sir" to my husband in the bedroom when he is telling me ttwd related things.... and you know what? It is still difficult even though I have been consistently doing it for a while. It is still kind of embarrassing for me, but I have to remember that he asked me to call him this and I asked HIM to do DD/ttwd with me! (Plus the fact that I said it during the spanking makes it so HOT after the spanking! LOL!) So, yes, we asked our guys for this, they are working on things that do not necessarily come natural for them because they love us and are trying to meet our needs. And we have to just keep working at it. Sounds like you know what you're talking about to me here, girl !

    I completely think part of this is what you said... you're testing him to make sure he will enforce it. We all do it. Yep!

    I personally cannot handle a lot of rules, but that is just where I am at.... I am probably to the point where we need to discuss this once again and step things up a bit as my/our needs change.

    Glad you got your comment section figured out! Blogger! Grr!
    Again, great post! You said some really good stuff!
    Hugs! Windy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Windy! It's helpful for me to hear that you still feel embarrassed when you call your husband, "Sir." Glad it's not just me!

      Delete
  2. Hi P ... Sounds like both of you are moving in the right direction. Frank and I are newbies at this as well, in the big scheme of things. We had a D/s bedroom only dynamic for many years but the DD outside the bedroom has only been in our lives for 10 months. I hear you when you say that the words and actions that always seemed so seamless in your fantasies, initially sound and feel foreign when they are uttered and acted out in real life ... but yes, that in and of itself, gives them more significance ... nj

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear you and 6 years in I still don't call my husband Sir often. It isn't because he hasn't 'earned' the title it is just because it doesn't 'fit' for us often. I have done it and no doubt I will do it again, but for myself I do it when the feeling comes from deep down inside. That being said everyone does things differently. If you believe it will help with your submission I say go for it!

    Submission is very difficult and doesn't work for the faint of heart. Continue to work on areas of difficulty and identify where you struggle. Giving voice to these areas will give growth to them in time as well. It can get much, much easier, but I will tell you submitting to the spanking aspect, LOL...I haven't found the key to making that easier after all these years!
    willie

    ReplyDelete